winter minestrone: an uplifting soup for cold days
Semi-low-carb, free from gluten and milk. Here comes my absolute favorite variation of minestrone. It’s very easy to make and it doesn’t require special ingredients, in fact you can use whatever vegetables are in season. This time I added something very unusual and it turned out to be great!
The result will be a thick and tasty soup, which is quite filling, so if you pair it up with some pancakes or muffins – as second course – you will have a perfect lunch or dinner. Lots of vitamins, lots of fiber.
Today I will show you the vegan version of our recipe, but don’t hesitate to put meat or cheese in the soup, it tastes great that way as well 😉 And here comes the recipe – approximately for 8 person.
The ingredients are the following:
- olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- any kind of onions you like: we used 1 small red onion, scallions and some leek
- 1,5 l water
- 1 vegan and gluten-free bouillon cube
- 400 g tomato puree
- spices: basil, oregano, ground cumin, ground nutmeg
- 2 bigger carrots
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 5 tsp green peas
- 3 celery stalks
- 100 g broccoli
- 100 g string beans
- 1 big red paprika
- 1 big beetroot, the secret ingredient
- baby spinach for serving
The preparation is easier than one would think:
- Wash every vegetable and chop them into small pieces. The most time-consuming part is done!
- Heat a large saucepan, add oil and onion, sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, celery, paprika and beetroot, cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, bouillon cube, tomato puree, garlic and spices, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are semi-tender.
- Add the remaining vegetables, simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Check if you like the vegetable’s consistence. I love when they are still crunchy a bit.
- When serving, add baby spinach on the soup.
- The beetroot is simply amazing in it!
Tip for you who want to try the non-vegan version: When frying the onions add bacon to them as well. At the end you can serve the soup with cheese on it.